Sunday, December 18, 2011
Third Valle del Oro Community Festival
In collaboration with our amazing partners Hope Horner and Cynthia Llerenas from the City of Santa Clarita's Community Services Division, and the supportive staff of The Village Apartment complex, the NOMAD LAB participants and teaching artists put on great show for this year's Community Festival.
What happened at the festival, you might ask?
Here is the low down!
- Two Latin American music ensembles made up of current and former students from CalArts performed their music in celebration of the culture of Brazil, Mexico and Chile.
- Participants in NOMAD LAB's Electronic Music Lab premiered their 7-song CD for an audience of cheering fans
- We celebrated the opening of our Visual Arts exhibition featuring the work of the Architecture Lab, Photo Lab, Visual Arts Lab, Storytelling Lab, and Public Arts Lab.
- Youth presented their "Dialogue Project" signs project
- We screened excerpts of a documentary film created by local filmmaker Ramon Hamilton with students from our neighborhood's own McGrath Elementary School
- Participants in the Cooking Lab prepared and served healthy treats to festival attendees
- Our young artists stormed the staged and shared with the audience words about their NOMAD LAB experience. Que emocionante!!
What a blast! We all had a great time and the spirit of celebration of our young artists' work was palpable. There was so much support from the audience! There were lots of tears and a great deal of pride for the work we accomplished together this year. Way to go NOMADS!!!
Posted by Evelyn Serrano at 7:40 PM